Thursday, January 28, 2010

Five Strategies to Survive the Slump

Are you in an economic slump? Seems like many whom I speak with today are experiencing some species of crisis. A friend of mine and I were speaking just today about the additional burden upon the older generation. She stated she has talked with many who said they just feel like crawling in a hole.
Yes, no doubt, that can certainly be a legitimate feeling. On occasion I too have experienced just such a reaction. In fact, yesterday I was in just such a collapse. To add irony (and humor?) to my sorry state of affairs, I received a solicitation in the mail for cremation. I wondered, do they know something I don’t?
Then, after having a bit of a talk with my friend, and later with my mirror, I thought about my alternatives. After a few deep breaths it did seem like I had what it took to keep on going. I bet you do too; yet at times you may not have anyone to talk with about it, especially one who will really listen to your feelings. That is strategy #1, give your feelings a voice; find someone to listen to you and get the frustration, anger, confusion, anxiety, etc. out of the way. I am not talking about complaining and playing victim. Given that, let’s talk about some other things we can do to survive this present national and personal crisis.
One might be reminded of basic psychology and Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy; his lower levels of survival and safety are relevant to us today. You may recall Maslow was the one who theorized belonging, self esteem, and self actualization above the survival (food, water, shelter) and safety needs. In effect, we do not seek others, a healthier self esteem or all we can be until our survival and safety needs are met. With those ideas in mind, let’s investigate other strategies to as we endure the most unstable time in our country since the Great Depression.
Strategy # 2: Take time daily to remind yourself of what you have, and be grateful for them. I would bet there are many who have far less than each of us reading this. What each of us has in the way of material things is just that, material. We think they make us happy. If they did, why are we in such a lull? What about friends, a place over your head, available food, beautiful blue sky, rain to feed your veggie supplies, etc? How about your talents, i.e., ability to read, share thoughts and ideas with others, and a number of other unidentified talents.
Strategy #3: Just the fact that you have identified and offered gratitude for what you have will begin to change your feelings. However you choose to believe, give thanks to our creator for these things you have identified. Be thankful daily and see what it does for your outlook.
Strategy #4: Exercise! Sluggish body, sluggish mind. Moving the body is a prerequisite for moving the mind. Get out of the house, walk, shop, talk, do something. Get out of the “pity hideout.” Perhaps the car needs washing. Even those who are physically limited can do some movements to exercise the body.
Strategy #5: Find something to do. It matters not whether it is your present work (if you do) or a hobby. Do something. Begin or create something to occupy your mind, hands, and perhaps your heart and values. Doing something for someone else has a very great reward for us. I have a friend who is taking up the cause for the Haitians and collecting monies for them. Another friend is creating doodads to sell at art fairs. There is always that book you have wanted to write. How about now?
I would bet virtually all of us have been reminded at some time that there will be a point where we will look back and see how we survived this crisis. How have you thrived in earlier times? Today, the question may well be, did we survive it and are we thriving? It is all about acting on our perspectives. The difference between a rut and a grave is only the depth!

1 comment:

  1. Reed,
    I have read with interest all of your postings. I was touched by your honest, humorous, and thoughtful. You pose some excellent questions, as well as presenting some useful suggestions. I read the Shambala Sun magazine and it occurred to me that an issue devoted to the challenges and gifts of aging would be a totally appropriate focus. Perhaps you have the seeds of a book as well. Keep writing, keep thinking, keep living. Your writing touches and inspires me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Click Here!