Thursday, December 10, 2009

Aging Economics

Have you given our economic situation any thought over the last year. Who hasn’t? Just last night I was speaking with a very close friend with whom I have profound discussions weekly. Part of our topic was the economic challenge as a single person. Today, much of our society is built upon two-incomes. So how do we do it as a single? Certainly wish I had the answer. This is a question I will pose to you all at the end. However, let’s consider some thoughts. Mind you, these ideas are posed more for those who want to participate in more independent living, vs. adult care facilities.
Living on less. At some time we all have most likely been struck with this point. I find as I get older, I need, and want far less than when younger. Wish I had known this then, don’t you? Is there any way to age our ego way ahead of our biology?
Sharing more. Some time ago I had a conversation about sharing homes with like-minded others. We ended up designing a home with several living-room-bedrooms which had a small nook area for individual cooking, if desired. In the middle was a large living-dining-room with a kitchen where more open and shared space could be enjoyed among the group. The number of bedrooms was dependent upon the builder and/or the desires of the owner(s). This would allow for individual and social time with others, sharing of some expenses and not having to be alone. Seems like a healthy benefit doesn’t it?
Living together. Perhaps many of you are way ahead of me on this; let me know. Sharing of expenses is certainly an admirable scheme, however is also fraught with chance. The variations on this theme are many and would require up front agreements: social only, or more intimate and sexual living together. Either way the economics could make sense. They could also work against the individuals if not discussed and agreed to in the beginning. However, wasn’t economics our motive to begin with?
I don’t propose to have the answer to any of this. However, I do know my economic situation needs addressing, perhaps sooner than later. How about yours?
Take a moment and respond with your thoughts about how you either “beat the challenging economics,” or what thoughts you might have. I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Click Here!